- Top 5 Best Selling Bird Watching Spotting Scope Under $300
- Differences between scopes and binoculars
- Primary Features Found In Spotting Scopes
- How To Choose A Spotting Scope
- Bird Watching Spotting Scope FAQs
Prior to taking my birdwatching to the next level, I didn’t even know what a bird spotting scope was. Only after I starting researching how to see birds more clearly, did I come across the need to find a spotting scope, and I set my eye (pun intended) on the best bird watching spotting scope under $300.
Why a spotting scope?
I found it to be a fantastic option over binoculars.
This is mainly due to a scope’s clear magnification capabilities as well as the improved field of vision.
the right scope has picture taking functionality, allowing you to capture those precious images in a digital format!
Below, I put together a listing of the best bird watching spotting scope under $300, a list consisting of the best selling scopes on Amazon selling for under $300.
Top 5 Best Selling Bird Watching Spotting Scope Under $300
- Fully multi-coated 80mm green film objective lens, eyepiece and quality prism inside - guarentee the key elements of a spotting scope, and make your view brighter, clearer and delivers crisp images.
- Variable 20x to 60x magnification and dynamic lens focusing system -- makes it easy to zoom in on target. Designed for birdwatching, watching wildlife and scenery.
- Durable Magnalium Framework and Rubber Armor - Its tight fitting protection makes it usable to withstand the toughest weather conditions. The shock-absorbing rubber armor for maximum protection. And the eyepiece shield can be stretched out to protect the eyepiece.
- Waterproof Design : Its sealing property ensures the living waterproof function.
- Comes with a digiscoping adapter for digiscoping. (Note: for all spotting scopes, the original picture is in a circle, pleae zoom the camera to get a full screen picture.) It also comes with Carrying Case, Eyepiece and Lens Protection Covers, Cleaning Cloth and handy Straps.
- 【POWERFUL MAGNIFICATION】: Adjustable powerful 20-60x zoom magnification allows you to lock onto your target and zoom in for more detail. Perfect for target shooting, archery, hunting, bird watching, wildlife watching, hiking, camping, scenery, outdoor sporting, astronomical observation etc
- 【FULLY MULTI-COATED LENS】: Fully multi-coated 60mm green film objective lens provides a field of view at 50-110ft/1000 yards. The quality BAK4 Porro prism optics increases light transmission, delivers bright, clear, high-contrast images even in low-light conditions. 45 degree angled eyepiece provides more comfortable viewing
- 【DURABLE CONSTRUCTION】: Durable framework and high-quality rubber armor provide non-slip grip, shock-proof grip and durable external protection, which enables the scope to withstand the toughest weather conditions. The eyepiece shield can be stretched out to protect the eyepiece
- 【WATERPROOF DESIGN】: O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating the scope for reliable performance in all environments. Nitrogen gas purging delivers further waterproof performance
- 【FULL RANGE OF ACCESSORIES】: A smartphone digiscoping adapter included enables you to take photos and videos of what you have observed. Bring the nature closer to you and you can explore the distant world easily through the phone screen. A tripod provides you a more stable observation from any angles. A carry case, eyepiece and lens protection covers, cleaning cloth make you more convenient to carry and maintain
- 20x to 60x POWERFUL MAGNIFICATION - This HD spotting scopes provides a powerful zoom magnification which can be continuously zoomed from 20x to 60x, making it easy to narrow the distance between you and the target. The 45° angled eyepiece offers a more comfortable viewing feeling for target shooting, bird watching, hunting, astronomy, wildlife viewing, etc.
- WIDE VIEW RANGE WITH FOGPROOF DESIGN - The Fully Multi-coated 60 mm Green Film objective lens not only ensure the light-gathering ability and resolution, but also provide a wide field of view of 131-66 ft/1000 yards. The fogproof and waterproof design of the spotting scope perfect for observing the target in rainy and foggy days.
- BAK4 HIGH-TRANSMITTING PRISM - BAK4 has a finer texture and high refractive index, which can get brighter images and make the surrounding image clearer. Compared to BAK7, Huicocy's BAK4 prism telescope can provide you with a more comfortable sense of reality.
- COMPLETE ACCESSORIES - The spotting scopes come with a tripod, phone adapter, cleaning cloth, carry bag, eyepiece and objective lens protective cover. The scope’s screw base is a standard 1/4-20 taped hole which is universal of most floor tripod. The adjustable phone adapter can freely stretch and clamp most models of mobile phones. The eyepiece and objective lens protective cover, cleaning cloth and carry bag keep your spotting scopes clean at all times.
- ANTI-SKID RUBBER ARMOR STRUCTURE - The high-quality rubber armor structure provides effective non-slip grip, just need one hand to hold it; the main barrel has a large "Smooth Glide" texture focusing ring + non-slip comfortable molded grip; retractable eyepieces can be used with glasses or without glasses + retractable sun visor built into the main lens barrel to reduce glare.
- Gosky Updated Newest 20-60x80 Spotting Scope - Variable 20x to 60x magnification and dynamic lens focusing system brings better optics, more stable images and easier focusing power. It’s the best choice for target shooting, archery, hunting, bird watching, wildlife watching, hiking, camping, scenery, outdoor sporting, astronomical observation etc
- Fully multi-coated 80mm green film objective lens provides a field of view at 82.9-48ft/1000yards. The quality BAK4 Porro prism optics increases light transmission and make your view brighter, clearer and delivers crisp images
- Durable Magnalium Framework and Rubber Armor - Its tight fitting protection makes it usable to withstand the toughest weather conditions. The shock-absorbing rubber armor for maximum protection. And the eyepiece shield can be stretched out to protect the eyepiece
- Waterproof Design: O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating the scope for reliable performance in all environments. Nitrogen gas purging delivers further waterproof performance
- Full range of accessories: A phone digiscoping adapter for smartphone, T-ring and M42 T mount for Canon camera included enable you to take photos and videos by smartphone or camera. A tripod provides you a more stable observation from any angles. A carry case, eyepiece and lens protection covers, cleaning cloth make you more convenient to carry and maintain
Though binoculars are a fine tool for bird watching, a number of serious bird watchers prefer to invest in spotting scopes, finding that the range and precise focus of a scope is more ideal for spotting birds than a standard pair of binoculars.
Best Bird Watching Scopes
The best bird watching spotting scope under $300 comes in a variety of styles and prices. Some scopes are smaller and weigh less making them ideal for hiking, while others are heavy-duty and better for a stationary day of bird watching. These factors are important to consider when choosing your spotting scope
The wide variety of scopes available make finding the right fit easy enough, regardless of your preference. The real challenge when choosing the perfect scope, however, is finding a scope that has all of the features you desire while staying within your price range.
Scopes are generally more expensive than binoculars, even the scopes on the less expensive end of the scale, but there are options that won’t break the bank. If the price is not a concern for you, then you may take your pick from the wide variety of top-rated spotting scopes on the market, but if you are looking to invest in a quality scope for a reasonable price then consider the best bird watching spotting scope under $300 listed above.
Before we dive into which bird watching spotting scopes are best on a budget, let’s break down some of the key differences between binoculars and scopes along with the differences between different styles of scopes on the market.
Differences between scopes and binoculars
Two of the key reasons a bird watcher may choose to invest in a spotting scope over binoculars are distance and field of vision (FOV). If you want to compare pricing, check out our post featuring the best binoculars for birdwatching under $100 here.
Spotting scopes can magnify at a much longer distance, bringing images at extreme distances into crystal clear focus. This capability broadens the potential for spotting and identifying birds at greater distances.
Field of view
Another difference between scopes and binoculars is the field of view (FOV). Scopes have a more precise field of view makes narrowing in one specific target much easier, eliminating the distractions of the surrounding objects that would otherwise have been inside the field of view through binoculars.
Primary Features Found In Spotting Scopes
Now that we have addressed the primary differences between spotting scopes and binoculars, let’s address the features that define different brands and styles of spotting scopes. All spotting scopes are made with the same general features, a strong housing with an adjustable lens for magnifying the desired image. Within this standard framework, there are key differences to note.
Fixed Lens or Zoom
When shopping for your scope be sure to decide ahead of time whether you want your scope to zoom or remain fixed. In most cases, bird watchers prefer a scope that can zoom. This allows the watcher to locate the bird from a wider field of view, then zoom in for a closer look.
Some scopes have the ability to close focus on an item, enhancing the clarity and overall image. This feature is often sought after by us bird watchers because we are after the details. While close focusing is not necessary, the peace of mind that comes from knowing you won’t miss any of the action makes close focusing worth considering.
Due to the intense magnification of scopes, the slightest tremor of a hand can dizzy the image which is why having a tripod is highly recommended for stability when searching for birds with a scope. Tripods come in a number of sizes, and deciding which tripod is best for you is important to consider as you are deciding on a scope.
When searching for the right tripod, consider the type of bird watcher you are, are you more active or stationary? For bird watchers who prefer to sit in one spot, a short sturdy tripod will do fine. For bird watchers who are always on their feet and prefer to chase down their target from a standing position, a long lightweight tripod will be much more ideal.
Stationary vs. Active
Recognizing the type of bird watcher you are is essential when choosing a scope because hiking all day with a heavy scope on your back can make or break the experience. Some scopes are large and heavy, making them difficult to carry for long distances and more ideal for a day spent in one spot scanning for birds. A lighter scope is more ideal for bird watchers who enjoy walking through the wilderness and spying birds on the move.
How To Choose A Spotting Scope
The below video contains good advice on what to look for in choosing a spotting scope and is a good resource for you to consider when buying the best bird watching spotting scope under $300.
Bird Watching Spotting Scope FAQs
Will these scopes fit any tripod?
Generally, yes. Most tripods have a universal mount that matches the mount on most scopes. Always good to double-check before purchasing to make sure that the thread on your tripod will align with your scopes mount.
How do I connect my camera to a birdwatching spotting scope?
Some scopes will come with an adapter but most require you to purchase one separately. Research the different kinds of adapters and make sure you pick one that matches your scope and your camera.
Can I find the best bird watching spotting scope under $300?
Yes, above we list 5 options on Amazon for good quality spotting scopes under $300.
How should I store my scope?
Most scope providers will also provide lenses and coverings for unique scopes. It is always best practice to keep your scope in its case with the lense one whenever it is not in use to protect it from dust and scratching.
What is the best level of zoom for bird watching?
There are a number of zooms that work well for bird watching but 20-40X and 20-60X are consistently effective for quality bird watching.
Which birding scope is better, angled or straight?
This is a matter of preference, but the general answer is that an angled scope will be more comfortable for extended use. The benefit to an angled scope is that you don’t have to crane your neck when looking through the scope.
DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this BirdInformer.com
Posted in Accessories Related terms: best cheap spotting scope, best spotting scope, best spotting scope for the money, best spotting scopes for birding, best spotting scopes for birdwatching, best spotting scopes for wildlife, how to use a spotting scope for birding, spotting scope vs binoculars, telescope for bird watching